Arc have recently celebrated our 10th birthday, during our busiest period yet. Where have these last 10 years gone?!
Looking back, we have come a long way since Mike and Paul were sat in their 2-person space in Rodney Street.
Arc was created back in 2008 by Mike, who had noticed a gap in the market for a hospitality staffing agency (good spot Mike!) Paul joined Mike 3 months later…
Luckily Mike and Paul shared the same desire to create something better, as well as striving to be the best in their industry. Even though their ideas have proved to be successful, Mike and Paul still faced challenges like any new business would. Fresh out of university, they had to learn how to run and operate a business (bearing in mind, this was back in the 2008 recession!!) Some of the initial challenges of creating Arc were;
- Creating a name
- Finding an office
- Setting a bank account up
- Finding an accountant
- Setting a payroll up
- Creating compliant contracts, agreements and application forms
- Creating business processes
- Manging the cash flow cycle
On top of this, they also had to win clients and recruited great staff members, whilst trying to build a reputation for the company. Building the reputation that Arc now has, has required both time and patience.
Arc has come a long way from our initial operation, where Mike and Paul carried out all of the day-to-day duties, to now having 7 offices across the UK, with more plans to expand in the future….
Alongside Mike and Paul, Arc started off with a small group of 100-200 temporary workers, who worked at various events in Liverpool and across the North-West. Now Arc have over 15,000 temporary workers, who work across the whole of the UK. As well as 30 full-time staff members across our 7 areas.
Some of Arc’s significant moments are;
- Securing our first premier league football club as a customer during its first year of trading
- Securing an out-sourced managed contract in of the North West’s top tourist attractions (the recruitment and payroll of all their casual staff is managed by Arc)
- The relocation of staff members/widening our geographical coverage (Our staff relocated to open our new offices- Paul relocated back to London, Martin relocated to Manchester, Sarah relocated to Birmingham, Josh relocated back to Cardiff and Steph relocated to Edinburgh).
- Securing contracts and proving ourselves at some of the worlds biggest catering companies
- Embracing technological advancements and reaping the benefits of improved efficiency- which has improved the efficiency for clients and staff
- Establishing a senior management team and appropriate advisors for each area
- Implementing a robust organisational structure- opened up opportunities for career progression
- Cultivating our internal workforce -60% of our office staff were previously temp workers
- Achieving an average growth 40% on average every year for every year that we have been in business
Since Arc love celebrating, it was important that we marked the special occasion with a memorable experience. To celebrate, Arc’s full-time staff gathered together at York racecourse to enjoy a day of celebrations and top class racing before watching a Paloma Faith concert. Mike and Paul felt that it was important for their staff to mark the occasion in a special way, as well as giving them the opportunity to unwind and relax, whilst socialising with each other.
The growth of the business and the progress we continue to make every week is what makes the future so exciting.
Back in a 2016 interview with the Liverpool Echo, Mike said how “The longer term plan is to be nationwide by 2018” and we’ve succeeded, so who knows what the future holds for Arc. Whilst we always aim to be the best company of our type in each area, we are still keen to grow our existing UK sites even further and open mores suitable sites in the UK. The long-term goal is then to explore and establish an operation internationally. Both Mike and Paul are very ambitious, so the goal should be realised!
Watch this space….